Sunday, May 26, 2019

HomeHomeStar Wars Autog...Star Wars Autog...Star Wars Autog...Star Wars Autog...How many is too manyHow many is too many
Previous

Next
New Post
3/24/2012 2:36 PM

When doing TTM, how many items are too many to send?  When does it become greedy?

I send cards, and only send 3 at a time.  Ive seen people on other sites that list like 10+ things sent at one time.  

Personally, I think more than like 4 is asking too much.  If you have more than that that you want signed, wait a few months and do another request.  I understand how people we are asking to sign things for us get frustrated when they get packages with like a dozen things, and worse yet, when they are several copies of the same thing.  No wonder they think we are just going to turn around and sell them on Ebay.

Im just worried about a few greedy people ruining for all of us.

What does everyone else think?

New Post
3/24/2012 4:52 PM

Well for a typical TTM I'll send 1-2 8x10's, 1-2 trading cards & an index card.So 3 to 5 items. If i send more than that I'll through in a gift card or if it's a large item. When I sent an 11x14 to Mr Wingreen I through in a gift card to Starbucks. He wrote a thank you note to me?!?

But if i'm testing an address I'll send a trading card only.

But I also make sure to put plenty of postage on the return envelope.

New Post
3/24/2012 6:06 PM

This has always been one of those more contentious issues.  Everyone likes free autographs. "Back in the day," before conventions became more popular and whatnot, this was the thing for ttm collecting. People discovered who signed for free and then inundated them with items.

There are the "purists" today who are insistent that they're entitled to free autographs and just because they send a request it means they're the only "true fan" of the actor. I say that facetiously, because times have changed and the etiquette of fan mail doesn't mean as much as it used to.

I've actually handled fanmail for Terry McGovern previously at his request. I was stunned by one "fan's" request that Terry sign 13 index cards, no personalization but "they're for my family for Xmas presents." Yeah. Right.

I think if you're requesting items ttm, two photos and an index card should be a good maximum cut-off point for a typical request. If you're sendin' a pile of items with "no personalization" requests, most of the celebs can see through it -- and it does affect the fan who's merely asking for their own collections. They're way more savvy realizing that people will line up to pay for their signature at a show and it's easy to see when someone's looking to profit: I know, I've read the fan letters.

When I did send ttm years ago, I typically requested no personalization, but that was because I will eventually pass down my collection to my daughter when I'm gone to do with as she likes. If she decides that the collection's not for her, she can sell them. If she decides it IS for her, then she can keep them. There are options down the road. But, when I sent, I also didn't send 13 index cards...

I don't send much ttm any more, since a good number of the Star Wars actors know me and know of Wattographs and I don't want them to mistake a personal request for something that we'd put in the Wattographs store. I'm okay with offering to pay for their signature in order to make it worthwhile for them to participate.

I do like the idea of including a little cash or a gift card if you're asking for something out of the ordinary, but it's also really kewl even if you're doing an ordinary request. Can't hurt to show your gratitude beyond just words.

ALWAYS, however, make it super easy for the celeb to return to you by including return postage and a return envelope suitable to return your items back to you. I've found the easier you make it for them, the better your chances.

Gary X

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances." — Grand Moff Tarkin

New Post
3/24/2012 9:01 PM

I remember waiting in lines at baseball card shows behind dealers who had CASES of baseballs to get signed. but they were paying for each one though.

New Post
3/26/2012 7:00 PM

I do 2-3 items max if I hope for a free graph. However, occasionally I've sent 5-6 or so and if I do -I send money as a courtesy. Haven't gone wrong yet.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeStar Wars Autog...Star Wars Autog...Star Wars Autog...Star Wars Autog...How many is too manyHow many is too many

Endor Express Logo yodasnews.com

Home   |   Forums   |   Store   |   Celebrity Addresses   |   Recollections   |   Resources   |   Contact Us
Original Wattographs content Copyright ©1996-2015 Orwell Interactive Media. All Rights Reserved.